Pregnancy is a wonderful, miraculous, incredible experience- but it’s not glamorous in any way… Let’s just be honest. Along with that beautiful baby comes a changing body and although that baby is totally worth it, pregnancy can do some funky things to your body. Growing a baby stretches out your tummy and can often leave you with some lovely marks after baby is born. I have nothing against these marks and I think they serve as beautiful reminders of all the hard work we did to create that miracle of life- but if we can avoid them, we’d all be a little bit happier right?
I made this belly butter cream to help keep my tummy moisturized, to help with stretching, and to keep the skin on my belly healthy as can be. All the ingredients are 100% natural and safe for mama and baby. And it’s super easy to make! I put it on every morning and night or anytime my skin feels itchy or irritated. It’s become one of my favorite products to have on hand throughout my pregnancy.
1/2 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
1/4 cup organic shea butter
1 TBSP almond oil
Essential oils- I used 3 drops each of these oils from Young Living: Helichrysum
Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood
All of these oils have amazing properties that help to strengthen, promote elasticity, combat dryness, support healthy cell growth, and promote healthy skin. If you’re new to essential oils, you can read more about them here.
1. Start by combining the coconut oil, shea butter, and almond oil in a glass or stainless steel bowl and heating them until melted.
2. Mix with an electric blender like a kitchen aid and stick them in the fridge to harden.
3. Allow the mixture to solidify and mix it again.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until you have the desired consistency for your belly butter.
5. Allow mixture to cool and add your essential oils!
6. Store in a sealed glass jar and keep in a cool, dark place.
*it is always best to store essential oils in glass, not plastic to preserve the properties of the essential oils.